Saturday, June 12, 2010

Peonies

Peonies are one of those plants to which many people have an attachment.  Often you will hear people say that they have a plant that was in their mother's or grandmother's garden.  I have one such plant.  The red and  semi-double peonies I have are both from my mother-in-law. Every time I look at them I have such fond memories of her and her garden. When I walk around the RBG Laking garden the peonies have the dates the hybrids were developed and I notice that my peonies and my iris were developed in the 1930's which puts it in the right time frame for my mother-in-law to be a young homeowner, planting them in her garden.  I like to think about this timeless link to a family member.  Apparently peonies can live over 100 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment