Thursday, June 2, 2011

Commonly lovely

I saw a pair of barn swallows yesterday when I was walking down by the Port Credit Marina.  With the sun glinting on their feathers, they are a beautiful bird!  We got to witness the mating ritual (in its split second timing) as they flew around their nesting site by the concession stand.  The railings on the patio made good perches I guess. I've often seen their nests and even observed the fledglings being fed, but since they are usually in the shade when at the nest I never realized how blue their feathers were or the beautiful tan of their breast and throat. The long pointed wings and deeply forked tails were what caught my eye first.   At first I thought I was looking at an indigo bunting, which is on my wish list for a sighting.  But after I searched the bird books when I got home, I realized that they were sparrows.  I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw them, though! Which just goes to show that even being wrong can be a highlight of your day!

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for indigo buntings we've got them at Riverwood! I've seen them on 4 separate days, let me know if you'd like me to point you in the right direction :)

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete