Thursday, June 30, 2011

2011 Cloverleaf Garden Tour

The garden shed seems like a secret hideaway in the garden.
The colour and layout invite  you to stay and unwind. Note the variations in colour without the use of flowers.
What a wonderful tour!  This year's Cloverleaf Garden Tour was well planned to provide two areas of concentration.  The Munden Park area was walkable, many people like to park once and walk to visit the gardens.
My favourite garden was #2 belonging to Al and Judy Hirsh in Gordon Woods. .  It is obviously a labour of love they  have spent may hours enjoying and creating. It's a shade garden and makes extensive use of hostas. But Judy has an eye for colour and paints with the plants they way an artist uses colour to create a picture.  Next to the blue leaves of a Big Daddy hosta  the chartreuse sedge, Japanese Forest grass waves and flows providing an eye catching hit of colour that draws your eye to the corner where it is nestled.
Hakonechloa macra - All gold Japanese Forest grass, provides  an  eyecatching focus. 

Judy artfully places large planters of annuals to relieve the green and to thrill you with a new colour in unexpected places.  Containers were grouped on the deck and in groups throughout the garden.
Plants carefully chosed to complement the container colour.

Interesting arrangement on the deck make you stop and appreciate the beauty. 

Her skill in filling containers is apparent and brightens green corners. 



\

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Thanks for commenting on my blog. I do go across the border regularly and I am familiar with the wine country spots. I am not a wine drinker though, so I never go for the beverage. I am so lucky to almost literally live on the border between Canada and the US. I have one of the houses that is almost at the gorge. I see you are in Mississauga and that is not such a long drive. Not far from Toronto. I am not sure if you have seen my other blog, www.gardenwalkgardentalk.com. I visit garden walks all summer and post and I also post images from the falls all year, even in winter with ice and snow. That is actually my favorite time at the falls. Less tourists.

    ReplyDelete