Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pokeweed

If you are the same generation as I am you will remember the song “Poke Sally Annie” The poor girl was so poor that she had to eat pokeweed salad. Pokeweed is a perennial plant that will grow to an amazing height in just 4 years under the right conditions.  Twice in the last two years, I have visited friends and seen this amazing plant.  Once I saw it at Theresa’s (she, of the pruners at the Border crossing)  I had never seen it before, and then to see it, in its huge abundance at another friend's was quite startling.  This large bush/plant comes into its own in the Fall when the racemes' deep purple berries contrast with the red stems.  It’s hard to believe it is a perennial. Birds love it and both owners claimed not to know how it arrived in their garden.  It must have come courtesy of a bird that ate the berries.  It occupied all of one corner in Theresa’s garden and  completely shielded the patio of another friend.   It was about 8 feet high and 7 feet across. I brought home some seedlings.  I think Theresa will be a recipient. 
Check out this web site for picture, because once again I was cameraless : waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph24.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment