Friday, February 1, 2013

Grasses

Miscanthus sinensis "Huron Sunset" planted at Riverwood Conservancy, Mississauga

I took these shoots this morning after an 8 AM meeting. Even in winter this grass shows its colour. You can see the faint reddish colour of the three grasses in the forground.  I believe it is Karl Foerster  beside it.  I was really anxious to see this grass 'in the flesh' so to speak. In the fall it had beautiful colour - almost purple at the base. It is one of the taller grasses and clumps up, so I am eager to see its development over the seasons.  

Pennistum alopecuroides 'Little Bunny" planted in the Enabling Garden at Riverwood conservancy. Mississauga
This grass in on the opposite side of the path at Riverwood. You can see how effective the planting is. I've forgotten the name of the Landscape Architect to credit.  I will try to get the information. This little grass is relatively new cultivar and I haven't seen either of these in the nursery near me.  It is a member of the fountain grass family. This "little Bunny' grass had such beautiful, plump flower head in Fall that looked great for months.  It grows into small clumps, so I will be anxious to watch it mature. It is only about 20 cm  (8 inches) high and 45 cm (18 inches) wide.

I'll keep you posted with pictures through the seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment