Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A day in the Rain Forest



Tuesday Oct. 27, 2009


Scenic Railway to Kuranda today.  We took the old gold mining and logging railway over gorges and through tunnels to reach the village in the rainforest. It is now known for crafts, artists and aboriginal art.  Some of the hand crafted items were beautiful.  I was tempted over and over to buy.  I saw some wonderful fish made of fused glass.  I would love to try my hand at that!  A new craft to try at home! I have to keep reminding myself that I do not need more stuff! – and that there is a weight limit on my luggage.  We went to the butterfly sanctuary.  We have wonderful photos of the butterflies native to the rainforest in this area.  We met a couple from Nova Scotia on the train.  He competed in the World Cup Games in Basketball and his team came 4th just missing a medal finish.  They were a lot of fun to talk to.  The wife from Nova Scotia said “we are almost ready to leave and we haven’t seen even a kangaroo in the wild”, so when we go to the zoo or a butterfly sanctuary at least you know what you are looking for it arms you with some knowledge about what you should be looking for in the wild.  In the sanctuary the butterflies landed within full viewing and camera range.  Now I know what all the flitty black shapes are supposed to be that I see in the rainforest. 
We went to Bird World as well. It is a free flying enclosed area, and the birds are very tame.  We saw a male cassowary sitting on 4 bright green eggs while the female takes off – her work is done.

Kuranda is a very pretty tourist town.  The park benches were made out of railway tracks and wheels.  It was a very imaginative use of historical waste that had an appropriate theme to the landscaping.  The railings on the stairs were made out of wrought iron in the shape of rainforest vines.  I think this is what Matt talks about in clever use of landscape architecture. 
Well, today I felt guilty at my life of indulgence and idleness! My most pressing decisioneach day is whether or not to wear my Tilley hat! Quite a change from the admin decisions I had to make at school.  Spud told me I would get used to it!

The gondola ride back to the base of the mountain was scary but magnificent!
I want to snorkel tomorrow and Spud wants a lazy day.  I wonder who will win?

No comments:

Post a Comment