Monday, May 7, 2012

Before and After

Before - bare earth, root bound, very shady. A canopy of mature trees

After -  hostas, daylilies and euonymus. A restful area for our eyes.

A shade garden near the gazego.  The hostas are barely up.  Check back later in the season. Hostas, daylilies, peonies, some bulbs, spirea and euonymus.

People keep asking me for some before and after shots.  I must confess I almost always forget to take the before picture, because I am focused on what needs to be done and on starting work. Often the 'after' pictures don't show that well, because the plants are so small that it is hard to see the difference they have made. But here is a sample of a before and after job, where I was asked to transplant because some work was being done where the existing plants were, and they have to be moved or they would be lost.

It was funny, as I was finishing work, a child and his grandmother walked by and the child said.  "I never saw the gazebo before! Let's sit down!".  It just goes to show that a careful planting will make people stop and look and rest, in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment