Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pond - The Finished Product

Well, it has been finished for a while now.  But, I thought I would post the end result of the pond construction my son undertook this summer.  When you look at the finished product,  it looks like it has been there for a long time.  The water lettuce and the water hyacinths are happily reproducing, as are the fish. We put approximately 1000 toad eggs in the pond, courtesy of a Cloverleaf club member and we can only assume they hatched.  The tadpoles were there and then there were none. I guess we will have to wait till next year to see how many hatched. We'll be ale to tell by how many come back to reproduce. I did see two minute toads on the path, so I have to assume there are more, hiding in the underbrush and eating their way to health and happiness.
I bought two large evergreens, the best that my pocketbook could afford.  I haven't got the years I once did to wait for things to mature.
The beloved sons treated themselves to three koi and they are small but interesting to watch.  We leave the fish in the pond all winter, with the pump going and our goldfish have usually survived.

1 comment:

  1. Just lovely Margaret.
    Wish Irene and I were there to sit and have tea with you all in your wonderful garden.
    Had a great visit last year, so enjoyed your hospitality. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete