Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring Flowers

Grey furled leaves of the sanguinaria papaveraceae - bloodroot

The flowers appear before the leaves
Bloodroot is a wonderful secret plant of Spring.  Not many people seem to know about it, or have it in their garden.  It does not like summer drought or full sun. In the forest, where is it at home, it is one of the first plants to appear on the bare April soil. In my shady, humus rich garden it seems to have found a home.  I bought it last year at the Cloverleaf Garden Club plant sale.  Only one lonely plant arrived on the day of the sale and I snapped it up (it pays to volunteer!).  When you cut the leaves or rhizome, it oozes red juice, hence the name.
Propagated by division, but I won't be dividing mine for a long time!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you for finding this plant. I will certainly look for it now that I know something about it. I love those early spring plants because they are so much appreciated after our long winters. I really get excited to see them. One of my favourite spring plants is the pasque flower. It come up very early and the seed heads are beautiful and remain in the garden for a long time. If you are luck they will even self seed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete